Thursday, December 11, 2008

What's Your Favourite Christmas Movie?

Every Christmas we (ok well - I) head up to the local video store and rent an armful of Christmas Classics to get everyone in the mood.

My personal all time favourite is a movie that came out in 1983 when I was living in New York. I think it went straight to cable (which is where I saw it) but I loved it then and I love it now (I even bought the video when MGM released it a few years ago). It is called "A Christmas Story" and is a charming tale about a young boy living in the 1940's whose greatest Christmas aspiration is to own a Red Rider BB Gun. He is thwarted at every turn by his mother, teacher and even Santa who tell him - "You'll shoot your eye out!"





This movie has given us a family saying "Quickly - I whipped up some tears".

I love this movie - it's narrated in the style of "The Wonder Years" if you remember that tv show from a few years back. Funny scenes include the dad winning a truly atrocious leg lamp, a boy getting his tongue stuck to a frozen lamp post and my personal favourite the "Oh Fudge!" scene where Ralphie helps his dad change a tyre (in the freezing snow) only to drop all the lug nuts and drop the "Queen Mother of all swear words".





So what's your favourite? Others naturally include It's a Wonderful Life




or maybe the Grinch?









Miracle on 34th street - the Natalie Wood version

value="true" name="allowFullScreen">

and also the modern one with Mara Wilson (aka "Matilda")





what about the Little Drummer Boy ?



or maybe Frosty The Snowman?



or Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer?



Or maybe A Christmas Carol?



Then there are Christmas scenes in movies like "Little Women"



So what about you - what are your favourites?

1 comment:

Erica said...

Hmmm....if I MUST have a xmas movie it would have to be Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas....