Thursday, February 15, 2007

Doll making classes



















I am happy to say that three fantastic dollmakers I know are coming to teach in the shop. First up is Pam Grose. Pam came and did a workshop last year where we did a doll on canvas - I did my mermaid. This time we are going to make either the L'il Monster or Basic Woman or Basic Man. The good thing about Pam is she's so flexible that she can teach different things to a bunch of people at the same time as she paces herself to the individual in the class. She's definitely not a 'pay attention - I'm only going to say this once' teacher.













The second class is with Ann Maullin and is Matilda the Aussie Bush Fairy. I have taken this class with Ann myself and it was a relaxing two days that's for sure. The doll is a no sew doll (no dragging your machine to class). You sew the hands and face at home and bring them with you. The class is great for learning a wrapped armature technique and is the one I used on my Ent. Ann's dolls are always so elegant - wonderful curvy bodies and long tapered fingers for delicate "ballet" like poses.








Last - but by no means least - is a class with Marilyn Halcomb. Marilyn is known as Australia's queen of soft sculpting - but she's also a wiz at Polymer Clay sculpting. She's put me on to a supplier for an airdrying polymer clay - which makes doing a class so much easier as I don't have an oven at the shop. The little character she has sculpted is "Sweet William" (named after a rather cute baby who happened to be in the shop when Marilyn dropped the doll off). I have also done a polymer clay sculpting class with Marilyn and her "sausage and balls" method is so easy (and open to some good laughs if you've got a dirty mind). I will have to post a pic of the head and hands I did in class with her.
So all good stuff happening - for those interested in signing up you can go to my website and book there.

1 comment:

Shashi Nayagam said...

Wow how lucky can you get!! To be able to take lessons from all three. Your doll is taking shape beautifully.